They say that public speaking is the #1 fear people have, even topping the fear of death!
What you need to remember is that your audience needs you. You are important to your audience because you can change their lives. Don’t think of your presentations as you being a speaking rock star for praise and applause. Think of you being the rock your audiences leans on most. You are the speaking rock star because of how much of a difference you are making in people’s lives.
My Top 3 Tips for Overcoming Your Public Speaking Fear
Here are some things you can do to release your public speaking fear, calm your presentation nerves and feel good before you have to speak in public.
1. When we are feeling public speaking fear, we tend to breathe shallow because we are nervous. When you breathe from just your throat and upper chest, you are cutting off your air supply and increase your feelings of public speaking fear and anxiety. An easy solution is to take deep belly breaths. You will quickly feeling calm, relaxed and at ease. If you need instructions on how to breathe properly, you can learn three easy ways to breathe deeply at https://www.wikihow.com/Breathe-Deeply
2. Drink room temperature water because it will keep your vocal cords open and keeps your mouth from drying out. If you drink cold water, it tightens your vocal cords and will make it harder for you to breathe. Therefore, less breathe equals an increase in nervous and anxiety.
3. Imagine you have a presentation coming up and you are feeling all this discomfort in your physical body. Now take a deep breath and breathe out all your worry and fear through your mouth. Exhale big and release it again. Repeat the process until you feel calm and relaxed. Breathing out is a simple, effective and easy approach to releasing public speaking fear. And you can use it anytime you need it!
Watch How I Overcome My Public Speaking Fear – You Can Do It Too!
Discover how I overcame my public speaking fear in one of my very popular YouTube videos.
Calming your physical body before presenting is super important. There also very practical speaking steps you can take to help you feel at ease. One of the best ways to do that is by getting to know your audience, so they can get to know you.
Here are some essential steps you can take before presenting that will make you feel good and ensure you shine as a speaker.
* Arrive before your audience does because it gives you time to relax and check out your surroundings.
* Be there to greet the audience as they are coming in, chat with them and find out why they came.
* Let the audience see that you genuinely care about them. Show interest in the audience before, during and after your presentation. Show the audience that you are genuine, friendly and approachable. Talk to them and, be yourself.
* Take note of a stories, questions, and comments that the audience has so that you can incorporate it into your presentation. Most people love when you truly listen to them and include them in your presentations. If it was a private conversation or someone is super shy, it might be best to leave them out of your presentation.
The more you interact with your audience, the more relaxed you will become. The audience will see you as a friend and a speaker. Be yourself, be authentic and let your true self-shine through! Trust me they will love you!
Overcoming Your Public Speaking Fear Resources
This blog article series for public speakers was created for you because you are committed to learning to be the best public speaker you can be. The information in this blog article series is just the beginning of being a highly effective trained speaker.
Click on the links below, because I have put together these additional step by step speaker tools and presentation tips to help you succeed. I am passionate about helping you become the best public speaker you can be so keep reading!